Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day One Action/Friday's Picks

It was a pretty predictable first day of the tournament. There were a few upsets, a couple close games, but nothing too memorable. My picks for the most part held up pretty well...turns out my instincts on Western Kentucky were right. It wasn't perfect, but I'll take 14 out of 16 for day one.

Not much to report as far as the teams I follow go. Villanova had to survive a scare from American University, but they eventually locked it up and pulled away to a convincing 13 point victory. Oklahoma and UCONN both rolled to big wins, and Arizona doesn't play until day two.

In unbasketball related news, I started doing the master cleanse diet today. To me it seems like a life-sucking, unhealthy lemonade binge, but there are testimonials that it improves your energy levels and recharges you. All you can eat or drink for an entire week is this lemonade concoction that combines fresh squeezed lemon juice, maple syurup, cayenne pepper, and water. It tastes better than it sounds. I would describe the flavor as maplemonicious, with an Emeril-like kick from the Cayenne pepper. I'm at the end of day one on this thing and am already suffering withdrawals. It's a weird feeling. I know I have all the energy that I need from the lemonade, I just want something solid in me. Its like having a fish tank and filling it with apple juice...and cayenne pepper...... If that analogy made sense to you, consider a CAT scan.

My friend Sturg, and my roommate Clarky have been tormenting me with fried chicken and cookies all day, and are now engaged in a vicious back and forth shootout in NHL 09. Sturg is certifiably awful and has no business ever scoring goals, but he lulls goalies to sleep with a bevy of useless patented moves that should be illegal. He will from now on be known as the sandman. Clarky is getting pissed because he is actually playing right, pulling off some vintage D2 the mighty ducks moves. He has already brought out the triple deek glove side, and I eagerly anticipate the knuckle puck. Hold on, breaking news...Clark is dismayed after suffering the upset to Sturgeon courtesy of his "Silly Backhand." That is what I call a bracket buster.

Moving on, my picks for tomorrow are as follows.

Stephen F. Austin/Syracuse--Syracuse

Tennessee/Ok. State--Ok. State

Utah St./Marquette--Utah State

Temple/Arizona State--Temple

E. Tennessee st./Pitt--Pitt.

Cornell/Missouri--Misourri

Portland St./Xavier--Xavier

Siena/Ohio St.--Siena

USC/BC--USC

Robert Morris/Michigan St.--Michigan St.

Wisconsin/Florida St.--Florida St.

There they are. I am going to bed and hopefully not having nightmares about the condition of Bob Knight's face on sportscenter. Someone introduce the big fella to sunscreen. I am putting the odds on him getting skin cancer at a strong 80 percent after seeing the color of his face tonight. I can't find the video link, but suffice to say it looked like he had taken a rip van winkelesque nap on a tanning bed.

The madness continues tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment